Human occupation of the area dates back to the Mesolithic Viana as evidenced by numerous archeological findings prior to the pre-Roman citadel on the hill of Santa Luzia.
The town of Viana da Foz do Lima, as it was called at that time, received a charter of Afonso III of Portugal passed on July 18, 1258. The prosperity which has since met, made it an important trading post, been built a tower defense (the tower Roqueta) with the function to repel the pirates come from Galicia and North Africa, seeking this porto.3
The flourishing maritime trade with Northern Europe, involving the export of wines, fruit and salt, and the import of cutlery, fabrics, tapestries and glass. The commercial spirit of Viana reached such proportions that Queen Maria II of Portugal granted the license Commercial Association of Viana do Castelo in 1852, in what is currently the 4th oldest employer country.4 The same sovereign, to reward the loyalty of the population of Viana, who did not surrender to the forces of Count das Antas (1847) decided to raise the village to a town with the name of Viana do Castelo (20 January 1848).
The County of Caminha, where is located the Back River Farm, is a county in the north of Portugal, bordering the region of Galicia, Spain, and the Minho River a natural border. It is provided with beautiful beaches, one of them nicknamed “Children’s Beach”, the beach of Vila Praia de Ancora.
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima is a Portuguese town in the district of Viana do Castelo, North and sub-region of Minho-Lima, with about 2800 inhabitants. It is characterized by its medieval architecture and the surrounding area, bordered by the River Lima.
It is the seat of a municipality with 320.26 km ² and 43,498 inhabitants (2011), divided into 51 parishes. The city is bordered to the north by the municipality of Paredes de Coura, east of Arcos de Valdevez and Ponte da Barca, southeast of Vila Verde, south of Barcelos, west of Viana do Castelo and Caminha and northwest as Cerveira .
Location very important since the Roman era, owned a palace of the Court of the Kingdom of León, documented by archaeological finds and other written documents.
Received its Charter of Dona Teresa on March 4, 1125, being the oldest town in Portugal.